Sunday, April 26, 2009
The Church of St. Georgios in the village of Staro Nagorichane near Kumanovo-FYROM
The Church of St. Georgios in the village of Staro Nagorichane is one of the most important 14th century Byzantine monuments, the architectural conception and fresco decoration of which tally with the latest cultural achievements of Byzantine art in Thessalonica and Constantinople. St. George church was built upon the foundations of an older building dating back to the reign of the Byzantine Emperor Roman IV Diogenes (11th century), ruined later. The church was renovated in 1313 by the Serbian king Milutin. The frescoes are one of the last works of the famous royal painters Michael and Eutychius from Thessalonica. Michael Astrapas and Eutychios (flourished 1294 to 1317) were Greek painters from Thessaloniki.
Some of their works included frescos at FYROMian churches:
Church of Saint Clement at Ohrid (1294-1295)
Church of Saint Niketas at Cucer (before 1316)
Church of Saint George at Staro Nagoricvino (1317)